Presentation of the ATLAS experiment and the HYPATIA analysis tool in Argos
The event took place on 29 January 2015 at the 3rd General Lyceum of Argos (Greece).
The objective of the talks was to present the ATLAS experiment and the ISE project to the students and the teachers of the Argolida prefecture. This activity has been repeated for the 3rd consecutive year. The students used the HYPATIA tool in their laptops to search for Z and Higgs boons. At the end of the hands-on, the students answered the first version of the PISA assessment questions and their answers was recorded online. At the end of the day, they took part in a virtual visit to CERN and had the opportunity to ask questions to the researchers present at CERN.
The program of the day was:
- 10:00-11:00 Introduction to CERN, ATLAS and the new Boson, presentation of the ISE (C.Kourkoumelis)
- 11:00-11:30 Break
- 11:30-13:00 Hands-on in PC’s:students use the HYPATIA tool to look for Z and Higgs bosons (S.Vourakis, G.Vasileiadis)
- 13:00 – 14:00 Virtual Visit to the ATLAS experiment at CERN (N.Tsirintanis, C.Kourkoumelis, G.Vasileiadis)
- Acquaintance with the High-Energy Physics research and CERN
- Familiarization with the ISE project
- Familiarization with the HYPATIA event analysis tool