SMEC 2016: Science and Mathematics Education Conference
The SMEC conference series is a forum for those involved or interested in issues facing those in science and mathematics education at any educational level, from primary through to 4th level. It will be held at St. Patrick's Campus, Dublin City University, on 16 and 17 June 2016. This year, the conference is dedicated to STEM Teacher Education – for Initial and Continuing Professional Development. This conference provides an opportunity for those involved or interested to discuss issues pertaining to STEM Teacher Education at and across all educational levels.
Previous conferences have addressed issues such as:
- Thinking assessment in Science and Mathematics (SMEC 2014),
- facilitating "Teaching at the Heart of learning" (SMEC 2012),
- understanding "Inquiry-based learning" and facilitating authentic learning experiences in science and mathematics (SMEC 2010);
- "Sciences Serving Science", exploring questions such as transfer of knowledge and skills between disciplines, breadth versus depth in science curricula and the implications of these issues in regard to teacher education (SMEC 2008);
- exploring the "Interconnections" between teaching and learning of mathematics and science at all education levels (SMEC 2006); and
- addressing the need for improving science, mathematics and technology education through high quality research and deployment in our education system to secure the foundations of Ireland’s knowledge-based economy (SMEC 2004).